Sunday, August 31, 2014

Personal Narrative

Hi, my name is Grace Fallon and I am a freshman at Duke University. I am enrolled in a writing 101 class titled "Decoding Disney", and I'm keeping this blog because it a requirement of the course, but also to explore the ins and outs of Walt Disney and share my experiences and opinions on Disney related things!

I chose Decoding Disney as my writing 101 course because, well first and foremost, who doesn't love anything having to do with Disney? I am also interested in discovering the reasons behind some of Walt Disney's decision making regarding his films. How did his childhood affect his film production? Did he project his political and social views in his movies? I am looking forward to finding some answers, and sharing my own opinions and views as well. 


 I've grown up watching Disney films like almost every other child. I've idolized the beautiful and powerful princesses who are commonly the stars of the movies. I would have to say my favorite Disney movie is Mulan, and second favorite is The Lion King. I feel as though I chose Mulan as my favorite growing up because she was the most relatable to me. I was the biggest tomboy, played every sport I could fit into my schedule, and loved rough housing with my big brother Dan. I hated wearing dresses and brushing my hair. I loved the action in Mulan, and the fact that she was able to hold her own with all of those men is what I admired the most. I consider The Lion King as my second favorite Disney movie because it reminds me of my mom. My mom absolutely loves The Lion King, so I think I just followed in her footsteps when I was little. My family and I also saw The Lion King on Broadway in NYC and it was absolutely amazing. Lastly, still to this day I follow the wise words of Timon and Pumbaa, "Hakuna Matata"! When either of these two movies are playing on ABC Family, or any other channel for that matter, I cannot help but watch them even though I have seen them both too many times to count! 

The only time I have ever been to Disney World was when I was very young, so I can hardly remember what it was like. I do remember being terribly afraid of the people dressed up as the characters for some bizarre reason. Specifically, the Beast from Beauty and the Beast scared me the most! I would love to go back Disney World at some point so I can truly experience all that it has to offer. It would be so fun to get a big group of friends to go! 



I am so excited to learn more about the one and only Walt Disney, and to analyze his famous films through his eyes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment